Ballon d'Or organisers respond to Lionel Messi's plan to give Robert Lewandowski award
Lionel Messi won a seventh Ballon d'Or on Monday night, edging out Bayern Munich's Robert Lewandowski, but the PSG star wants the Pole to be handed the 2020 award
Ballon d'Or organisers say they are "thinking about" awarding Robert Lewandowski the 2020 award following comments from Lionel Messi on Monday night.
The Argentine claimed his seventh Golden Ball in Paris after a year in which he'd lead Argentina to the Copa America.
Last year's award was not handed out due to the pandemic, but before and after lockdown Lewandowski was on fire with Bayern Munich, helping them win the treble.
His efforts saw him claim several individual accolades in Germany, including the Bundesliga Player of the Year.
The Pole scored a career high 55 goals and was many people's pick for the Ballon d'Or before France Football chose not to hand out an award.
Messi though asked that the organisers belatedly recognise Lewandowski's performance.
“Robert, you deserve your Ballon d’Or. Last year, everyone was in agreement to say that you were the big winner of this award,” he said.
“Hopefully France Football will give you the 2020 Ballon d’Or. We all believe you deserved it and I hope you can have it at home.”
France Football editor-in-chief Pascal Ferré admits he is open to the possibility.
Lewandowski's fine form continued into last season, where he again smashed the 40 goal barrier for a sixth straight year.
Ferré claims, despite popular opinion, that they cannot be sure the 33-year-old would've scooped the award.
He told Watson via Bulinews : "What Messi said was nice and clever. I think we do not have to make very quick decisions. We can think about it and at the same time we should respect the history of the Ballon d'Or, which is based on voting.
"We can't be sure if Lewandowski would have won the Ballon D'Or last year. We can't know because there was no vote. But, to be honest, Lewandowski would have had a great chance of winning last year."
The striker, who has already scored 25 times this term for the Bavarians, conceded when the 2020 Ballon d'Or was cancelled that he was enjoying the best year of his career.
He also suggested that their decision was somewhat premature, with many other awards still being dished out.
He told the Daily Mail previously: “Someone had to decide that this year there would be no Ballon d'Or.
“Maybe they decided too early because every [other] trophy has been decided. So many players, coaches, journalists know that, for me, it was the best season.
“We did what we did and it was spectacular. I'm glad everyone has seen it. These awards are something nice, amazing.
“But I also know that every personal trophy is for the team. The team without the striker finds it difficult to work but the striker without the team doesn't work either.”